By completing these qualifications, learners will meet industry requirements to perform supervisory roles within stewarding and spectator safety.
The purpose of these qualifications is to confirm occupational competence and provide learners with knowledge, skills and understanding of Spectator Safety. They are mapped to the Skills Active National Occupational Standards (NOS) for Spectator Safety 2019.
The Sports Ground Safety Authority (SGSA) are leaders in sports ground safety in the UK and have worked with stakeholders to ensure the content of our Spectator Safety qualifications reflect the changing threats to events and crowded spaces.
Spectator safety employers consistently emphasise the importance placed on learners demonstrating their knowledge, skills and understanding through competency-based assessments.
The qualifications have been designed to reflect these demands, assessing learners’ performance on the job.
Learners must be aged 16 plus.
Before learners can be certificated for this qualification, they must complete:
- A basic life support training course that covers: CPR, recovery position, use of a defibrillator and how to manage a bleed.
- Action Counter Terrorism (ACT) Awareness eLearning (Certificate) or Action Counter Terrorism (ACT) Strategic Training course (Extended Certificate)
Summary of Outcomes
Completing these qualifications provides access to supervisory stewarding and spectator safety jobs including for sport and music events, festivals and carnivals.
To achieve the YMCA Level 3 Certificate in Spectator Safety Supervision learners must complete five mandatory units and two optional units.
Mandatory Course modules include:
- Prepare stewards and venues for spectator events
- Manage and maintain stewarding in designated areas
- Manage information for action and decision making for spectator events
- Develop and sustain productive working relationships with stakeholders
- Monitor and solve customer services problems
Optional Course modules include:
- Help to manage and resolve conflicts*
- Deal with incidents at spectator events*
- Manage resources for safety and security at spectator events
- Manage the efficient use of resources
- Develop your knowledge, skills and competence
*It is strongly recommended that these units are only selected by learners who have not previously completed a level 2 qualification in spectator safety.
Method of Assessment
Portfolio of evidence
Locations across wales or in-house at your business
£0 – funding available, subject to eligibility