ELCAS (Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme)
What is ELCAS funding?
The MOD’s Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELC) promotes lifelong learning amongst members of the Armed Forces. The scheme provides financial support in each of a maximum of three separate financial years for higher-level learning of a nationally recognised qualification at Level three or above or, if pursued overseas, an approved international equivalent qualification with an approved learning provider.
There are several stages to the ELC process. Full information is set out in Joint Service Publication, which you can find here,
- You must be a registered Scheme Member and have accrued sufficient service before submitting an online claim.
- If you are still serving, speak to your Education Staff, or, for Service Leavers contact your Single Service Representative. Appropriate checks can then be done to issue your account.
- Once you have an account, search for an approved provider and course, then simply log in and submit your claim.
- Finally you must complete your Course Evaluation when requested, further claims cannot be processed until your previous course evaluation has been completed.
How do I make a claim?
Before being eligible to make an ELC claim, individual scheme members must have completed not less than six years eligible service (lower tier). If you have completed 4 years qualifying service prior to 1st April 2017, please read JSP 822. The lower tier of funding is up to £1,000 per claim instalment and the higher tier (eight years service) is up to £2,000 per claim instalment. Only service accumulated since 1st April 2000, may be counted as eligible service for the purpose of the ELC Scheme.
You are entitled to make three ELC claims in total. You can only make one claim per financial year (1 April- 31 March), however, if you have served between 6 and 8 years you are eligible to aggregate all three lower-tier claims together. As the expiration date of your claims is dependent upon many factors please read JSP 822. If you are claiming in the last year of your scheme eligibility, you must commence study before your scheme expiry date.
If you are in your qualifying resettlement phase you may be eligible to claim under the Joint Funding Initiative (PF FE/HE Scheme). For the full details and to check the eligibility rules, please view the Serving Personnel/Claiming Publically Funded FE/HE page.
Procedure for Eligible Service Personnel
- You must complete an online claim and submit to your Education Staff a minimum of 25 working days prior to your course start date.
- On receipt of your Claim Authorisation Note (CAN), you must present it to your chosen Learning Provider before the course is due to start.
Please note, ensure you click here and read the document.