The Foundation for Building Engineering Services is a brand new qualification where you study ONE trade experience:
• Plumbing and Domestic Heating
• Electro technical systems and equipment. (Electrical Installation)
This is your starting point on your journey to become a qualified Plumbing and Heating Engineer or Electrician. You will study two evenings a week at the relevant campus.
At our southern campuses, students who choose plumbing will be based at Neath and students who choose electrical will be based at our Afan campus. Please apply to the relevant campus to suit your interest.
You will cover practical craft skills, job knowledge and advanced trade techniques in plumbing and electrical installation. You will also learn the interpretation of construction drawings and the calculation of materials and costings. Students are also encouraged to participate in Skills Competitions as a means of enhancing their practical ability and developing higher level skills.
Learners aged 16+ currently working in or intending to work in the construction and building engineering services sectors.
Site operatives who want to widen their knowledge, understanding and skills in the sector more generally.
Two GCSE’s grades A-D in English and Maths.
Entry for mature students is on an interview basis.
Summary of Outcomes
• Learners can progress onto the Level 2 Progression Qualification as either a plumber or electrician and onto the level 3 in Building Services Engineering.
• Completion of this course will enable students to advance quickly through the level 3 programme.
• Introduction to the Built Environment
• Introduction to the trades in the Construction and Built Environment Sector
• Introduction to the Built Environment Life Cycle
• Employability in the Construction and Built Environment Sector
• Protecting Health, Safety and the Environment when working in the Construction and Built Environment Sector
• Introduction to emerging technologies in Construction and the built Environment Sector
• Plumbing, Heating and ventilation.
• Electrotechnical systems and equipment.
Method of Assessment
A mix of course work, practical assessments, and online exams.
There is a £195 Materials fee.
Locations across wales or in-house at your business
£0 – funding available, subject to eligibility