Over the past few years, there has been a movement towards using renewable technologies both in domestic and commercial settings as an alternative source of power generation. This has seen a revival in demand in solar technology and more and more projects are requiring their installation as part of their electrical installation.
The Level 3 EAL Award in Installation of Solar PV Systems is designed to provide candidates with the skills and knowledge to be able to safely install, commission and hand over small scale solar photovoltaic systems in line with regulations and relevant code of practices. On completion of the course, candidates will be able to plan, prepare grid connected solar photovoltaic systems as defined within BS7671, within scope of Engineering G98 and G99 connected to both single and tree phase installations.
This qualification is recognized by MCS as part of certification scheme.
This course is designed for practicing electricians who wish to move into the installation of solar PV systems. Candidates ideally should be qualified electricians to NVQ Level 3 standard Candidates should have a good working knowledge and are advised to have completed the following qualifications prior to enrolling on the course 3
• 18th Edition BS7671
• Test & Inspection – Initial Verification & Periodic Inspection (2391,2394/2395)
Summary of Outcomes
Work in the renewables sector.
"The qualification comprises of knowledge/understanding and performance units, which between them cover the skills, knowledge and understanding required the installation of small scale SPV systems, e.g. dwelling installationsKnow the requirements to install, commission and handover small scale solar photovoltaic systems.
• Identify H&S risks and safe systems of work associated with solar photovoltaic systems installation work
• Identify the relevant regulations/standards relating to practical installation, testing and commission activities for solar photovoltaic systems installation work
• Understand the differences between a.c and d.c circuits within solar photovoltaic systems and layouts within the grid tied systems.
• Understand the purpose of solar photovoltaic system components
• Understand the types of characteristics and typical conversion efficiencies of solar photovoltaic modules.
• Understand fundamental design principles used to determine solar photovoltaic system module array size and position requirements.
• Understand preparatory work required for solar photo voltaic system installation work and layouts and the requirements for installing solar photovoltaic module arrays.
• Understand solar photovoltaic system protection techniques and components.
• Understand the requirements to test and commission solar photovoltaic systems.
Method of Assessment
The assessment of the qualification involves the following aspects:
• Knowledge Unit: onscreen exams
• Performance Unit: locally assessed, either through practical activities in the workplace or as appropriate; in simulated conditions.
Locations across wales or in-house at your business
£295.00 – funding available, subject to eligibility